Week one: We’re building a cabin, that’s supposed to look like it’s been in the woods for a long time…in the middle of the city.
“Don’t worry, we’re going to take it apart.”
Originally, every scene happening outside the cabin was going to filmed at one location, and everything inside would be filmed at another. So, we needed to be able to move the cabin.
How did we do that? We made it IKEA style. Everything came apart easily to be packed in the back of a truck and taken to location. Cool, no big deal.
Where’s all the wood? We don’t have it, yet. Next day, a giant pile of scrap wood shows up donated from a shipping company. And now we age it all.
Vinegar, nails, and coffee, with a dash of black and red paint. So much vinegar. Layers and layers upon all sides of the wood, and the new wood looks like it’s been in the woods for years.
One night, we’re aging some of the wood, and we look around the piece we’re working on. Five ladies, and none of us were from the same country, building a cabin in Australia.
We have a frame, then metal sheets for the walls and roof.
Rafters = trigonometry courtesy of Jonathan Proby. (Who knew you’d actually need that?)
Day before the move to location: Hooray! It’s done!…And now we take it apart.
With each puzzle piece meticulously (and maybe a little excessively) labeled, everything is taken apart and put in a truck.
Next morning, wake up bright and early to build a cabin. Step one, dig in the foundation, over a pond. Karoline and Annette end up knee deep in mud. Josias breaks up a rock for us, until the foundation is in.
Day two of the re-build, everything comes together. We have a cabin in the woods.
Another great thing about the way we built the cabin. In the event we couldn’t film or light something correctly with the cabin the way it was, no worries. Just pop a pieces of the wall out and light that way.